[Histonet] Fwd: Nor Cal Histotech program

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 28 18:48:02 CST 2010

There is SUCH a need for histotech programs. Currently, there are only 39
histologic technician (HT) (most community college based) and 4
histotechnologist (HTL) (need 4 year degree). And there are shortages
everywhere.

There are 2 HT programs in California. One in Berkley, one in Walnut.

The accrediting agency is National Accrediting Agency for Clinical
Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
www.naacls.org

For information on how to contact the two California programs, once on the
NAACLS website,
- on the left, click on Find a Program
- Under Program Type, click on HT & hit Search. Programs are listed
alphabetically by state.
- If you want to talk with HTL program directors, follow above directions,
except click on HTL.

Any program director would be willing to give you more information.

If you look under "accreditation" on the left, there is HT and HTL. Click on
one, and you can find the accreditation standards you would have to follow.
There are a few standards that are different between HT and HTL, so you need
to look at both.

The advantage of being an accredited HT or HTL program is that the students
are eligible to take the national certification exam through American
Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), immediately upon successful
completion of the NAACLS accredited HT or HTL program.

However, since you are just starting out, and look like you need lots of
information, I'm going to suggest going to the National Society for
Histotechnology (NSH) website. More information about what histotechs are,
about meetings, state society presidents, jobs board, membership with
journal specific for histology/tissue, etc.

There is also a 3 hour continuing education you can purchase, titled "How to
Start an Accredited HT or HTL Program in either a College or a Hospital". I
presented it at the NSH Symposium in 2008, and it was recorded with the
PowerPoint, so you can listen to me and look at the PowerPoint. It has lots
of advantages and disadvantages of starting different types of programs,
contacts, proof that we need more programs, etc. Granted, the information is
3 years old, and there are a lot more HT and HTL program than there were 3
years ago, but most of the other information is the same. Just a disclaimer,
I don't make any money from this. I had presented it every year from
1999-2008, and NSH thought it might work as an on-line module, for people
like yourself who need the information at times other than in the fall when
the NSH symposium is.

Go to www.nsh.org
- Across the top, click on Professional Development
- About the 5th one down, click on On-Line Learning Center
- Click on Meeting Content
- Scroll down and click on NSH 2008 Annual Symposium/Convention in
Pittsburgh, PA
- Click on #27 = How to Start an Accredited HT or HTL program

Once you get some information under your belt, I'd be more than happy to
answer questions specific for your situation. Just look on the NAACLS web
page, under HT or HTL (we have both programs), and you'll find me in
Michigan.   :-)

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Schools of Histotechnology
William Beaumont Hospital