[Histonet] bouin solution

wassan alkadhumi w_alkadhumi <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 08:49:54 CST 2010

Dear Histonet
I have question concerning bouin solution, we use it in masson trichrome before
starting the stain. we incubate the slides trimmed at 3 micron in bouin solution
for 18 hr in room temp which is not controlled. Then we wash the slides using
running water first and then distilled water, but according to what
i red, when using bouin solution,the tissue should be washed with (50-70)%
alcohol to prevent deterioration of staining in time. now i should mention that
in the our  masson trichrome procedure there is no washing with alcohol but only
with water.

what should i do? In the book its mentioned that we have to wash with alcohol if
the tissue is not processed yet, is that why the alcohol step is missing in
masson tri procedure?and why will the stain deteriorate if some of the bouin
solution stayed in the tissue?
The main fixative that is used in our lab for all grooses and biopsy is 10%
formalin (except bone marrow biopsy). bouin solution is used after processing of
the tissue and deparaffinization of the sections is finished.
Thanks

Wassan
Histotechnician
Shorh hospital