[Histonet] Small biopsy specimens

Sharon.Davis-Devine Sharon.Davis-Devine <@t> carle.com
Wed Dec 1 12:01:58 CST 2010

We have been using eosin to stain our small biopsies prior to tissue processing so that they are easier to see when embedding.  Recently one of our PA's started using Hematoxylin instead of the eosin, because that is what they used where she trained. Upon further investigation the manufacturers of both of our tissue processors discourage the use of eosin because it is very hard on the working parts of the machines and requires more PM's to prevent damage.  So we are considering switching to using Heme instead.  Do any of you out there use Heme on your biopsy specimens?  Do your embedders find it easier to see these tiny tissues when embedding?  Any pros or cons greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Sharon Davis-Devine, CT (ASCP)
Cytology-Histology  Supervisor
Carle Foundation Hospital
Laboratory and Pathology Services