[Histonet] used equipment

Matthew Frindall mwgfrindall <@t> gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 07:51:17 CST 2010

Hello All,
I'm an amateur microscopist, mostly interested in botanical specimens. I
recently acquired an American Optical A820 microtome. It appears to be in
good working condition but is missing the blade. I am considering purchasing
a used blade or a used disposable blade holder from Ebay or a lab surplus
website. I realise the condition of this material may not be optimal and
unfortunately the sellers generally do not know the history of these items.
My question is - should I be worried about safety? If there is a chance this
material came from pathology labs, do I need worry about any potential
prions/viruses etc?
Thanks in advance,
Matthew