[Histonet] xylene in an unventilated area

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 11:59:56 CDT 2010

Try to get a fume hood; it could be one movible over the counter, but needs to have a good charcoal filter.
René J.

--- On Mon, 8/16/10, Cathy.Crumpton <@t> tuality.org <Cathy.Crumpton <@t> tuality.org> wrote:

From: Cathy.Crumpton <@t> tuality.org <Cathy.Crumpton <@t> tuality.org>
Subject: [Histonet] xylene in an unventilated area
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Monday, August 16, 2010, 11:41 AM

   Hello  all.   Cytology was told that the xylene substitute the= y were
   using  for their Surepath paps was causing staining/artifact issues.&   nbsp;  They  want  to  switch to using xylene in their area, but it is
   unventil=  ated.  Because of various reasons, their process can not be
   moved.&nbs= p; They are asking me for advice about what to do for fume
   control.  I= was wondering if a good downdraft unit would be enough to
   handle  the  xylen=  e  fumes.   They will have maybe 400 mL of xylene
   uncovered  while  covers= lipping their paps.  Does anyone else have a
   similar  set  up?  The= y share their area with micro and core lab and
   others  are  complaining about= fumes even though they have borrowed a
   mini-hood from us.  Badge resu= lts are still pending.

   Cathy Crumpton HT(ASC= P), Histology Lead
   Tuality Community Hospital
   Hillsboro, OR 97123
   = (503)681-1292