AW: [Histonet] Re: [Special Stains] Masson's Trichrome

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Mon Aug 9 11:22:04 CDT 2010

We don't perfom Masson Trichrome but the one-step Gomori version and another
rather similar trichrome called SFOG.
I use Bouins for one year, better said, when the reagens in the coplin jar
goes low, I fill it up again.
Our selfmade SFOG solution is used even longer than one year. And the
commercial Gomori-solution is used for a half year.
Weigert's is made once a week, but the results show that the older solution
doesn't work as well. Since nuclei aren't really important in the
trichromes, it doesn't matter that much.

It's important, that the pH is correct and low enough, to render the
solution stable.
Our numbers of stained trichromes are about 150 to 200 per year.

Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Sherwood,
Margaret
Gesendet: Montag, 09. August 2010 16:33
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] Re: [Special Stains] Masson's Trichrome

To all:

We keep having the same discussion re:  special stains.  How long can you
use
them before discarding?  I am specifically referring to the stains used in
Masson's Trichrome.

We are a research lab and, therefore, don't run the volume that most labs
do.
We have found, for instance, that we can use the Weigert's Hematoxylin (A&B)
more than once, with filtering (even though it is stated it should be made
fresh).  We also use Bouin's Fix, Biebrich Scarlet and Aniline Blue more
than
once.  Is there a "set rule" when we should discard these solutions (i.e.
after
5X use or 1 month)?

I would appreciate some feedback from the experts!

Thanks!
Peggy

Peggy Sherwood
Lab Associate, Photopathology
Wellman Center for Photomedicine (EDW 214)
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02114-2696
617-724-4839 (voice mail)
617-726-6983 (lab)
617-726-1206 (fax)
msherwood <@t> partners.org

e-mail
HelpLine at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
error
but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
properly
dispose of the e-mail.