[Histonet] friable or crumbly O.C.T.

Bill B. bill501 <@t> mindspring.com
Mon Aug 9 10:55:40 CDT 2010

I will 2nd this.

When I did neuropathology at a major institution, we froze all frozen sections in an isopentane slurry cooled with LN2. We waited for the OCT to warm to cryostate temps before cutting. If there was time pressure from the surgeons, I used my thumb to warm more quickly, until sections stopped falling apart. We got minimum freeze artifact with this method.

For research we used homogenized brain (brain paste) instead of OCT which gave better sections as there was not a change in physical properties you get with OCT vs brain.

Bill Blank, MD