[Histonet] Re: [Special Stains] Masson's Trichrome

Sherwood, Margaret MSHERWOOD <@t> PARTNERS.ORG
Mon Aug 9 09:32:48 CDT 2010

To all:

We keep having the same discussion re:  special stains.  How long can you use
them before discarding?  I am specifically referring to the stains used in
Masson's Trichrome.

We are a research lab and, therefore, don't run the volume that most labs do.
We have found, for instance, that we can use the Weigert's Hematoxylin (A&B)
more than once, with filtering (even though it is stated it should be made
fresh).  We also use Bouin's Fix, Biebrich Scarlet and Aniline Blue more than
once.  Is there a "set rule" when we should discard these solutions (i.e. after
5X use or 1 month)?

I would appreciate some feedback from the experts!

Thanks!
Peggy

Peggy Sherwood
Lab Associate, Photopathology
Wellman Center for Photomedicine (EDW 214)
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02114-2696
617-724-4839 (voice mail)