[Histonet] de-wax without organics

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 15:13:41 CDT 2010

Under separate cover I am sending an article on the subject of dewaxing with dishwaser liquid soap.
René J.

--- On Fri, 8/6/10, Goins, Tresa <TGoins <@t> mt.gov> wrote:

From: Goins, Tresa <TGoins <@t> mt.gov>
Subject: [Histonet] de-wax without organics
To: "Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Friday, August 6, 2010, 3:13 PM

We have run some preliminary tests on de-waxing slides using warm detergent solutions rather than xylene or xylene substitutes.  So far the pathologists see no difference between the H&E stained slides treated with detergent vs. the usual xylene to alcohol to water route; the cellular detail is equivalent and the dye reactions appear identical.   We have also run comparisons for several special stains and IHC slides with good results.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who is aware of reasons why this is a bad idea!  It is quicker and reduces the volume of organics required by half so we are seriously considering it as an alternative protocol.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Tresa

Tresa Goins
Veterinary Diagnostic Lab