[Histonet] RE: floating section incubation times

Montina Van Meter Montina.VanMeter <@t> pbrc.edu
Fri Aug 6 11:36:32 CDT 2010

David,
The reason that I am able incubate overnight is that I antigen retrieve
my free-floating sections in the Biocare Decloaker (and no, I am not
receiving any subsidies from them).  This has enabled me to reduce
incubation times as well as revealing receptor staining that has been
difficult to observe in the past due to the lack of sensitive
techniques.  I am serum-free and use polymers for detection.  This has
drastically cut down on my background issues.

Regards,
Tina

-----Original Message-----
From: David A. Wright [mailto:dw18 <@t> uchicago.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 3:46 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: Montina Van Meter; Guillermo Palchik
Subject: Re: floating section incubation times

Hi Histonet, Tina & Gil

I work on the same material as Tina and just wanted to echo
her "overnight" comments with the addition that I routinely
incubate 40um floating sections over the whole weekend at room
temp (on a very slow shaker, 20 rpm, and with azide to stop
bug growth. It all washes out before the peroxidase reaction.)

I seem to remember from Fick's Law that the time taken to
diffuse to the same endpoint concentration goes up with the
square of the thickness, so if you double the thickness you
would need 4x the incubation time - or else more concentrated
antibody.  The same distinction applies to "floating" vs
on-slide incubations.  {It wasn't clear to me if Gil's
sections were floating or not).  Since reagents can penetrate
from both sides of a floating section, a section stained
"on-slide" is effectively twice as thick and needs 4x the time.

Note that the same principle applies to leaching out unbound
reagents - you should lengthen your wash steps too, by the
same factor, to prevent high background.

happy staining
-David
David A. Wright, PhD
University of Chicago Section of Neurosurgery