[Histonet] Formalin substitutes, anyone?

mtitford <@t> aol.com mtitford <@t> aol.com
Tue Aug 3 15:04:51 CDT 2010

I am curious!! In a Histonet message last week, Tony Henwood mentioned the formalin substitutes "UMfix", "Kryofix" (now called Neo-fix I think) and "Spuitfix".

1) How many  surgical pathology labs use formalin substitutes for routine work?
2) Which ones do they use? (which is the most popular?)
3) Do they use formalin substitutes just for initial fixation, or on their tissue processors as well?

I would be interested in hearing. Yes, I know, curiosity killed the cat!!
Thank you to anyone who replies. Histotechnology is endlessly fascinating.

Michael Titford
Pathology USA
Mobile AL USA

=