[Histonet] decalcification

Joseph Saby saby_joseph_a <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 16:49:51 CDT 2010

Dorothy-

If your bones are indeed large, 24 hours in 10% NBF will not be sufficient for
fixation.  If the fixation isn't sufficient, none of the processes following
that will be as effective as they might be.  Even after trimming, I would
recommend fixing an additional 24-48 hours for every mm of thickness of your
bone section, at a minimum.  If you are in a hospital setting and need reults
quickly, you can use a processor (with heat, pressure and vacuum) to speed up
the fixation.

I use buffered formic acid to decal.  The final concentration of formic acid is
about 20-25%, so it is rather aggressive, but it also allows you to read the
bone marrow after decal.  If you need results in a short time (hospital setting
again) you can use an aggressive reagent like RDO for decal, but keep in mind
that nuclear detail will be lacking, but bone structure should still be
readable.  If you do not have the reagents to determine decal endpoints, you can
(with training/practice) use a needle to pass through the sections to help
determine if decal is complete.  The needle should move through the specimen
smoothly and not get hung up and stiff in the middle of the section.
Flexibility of the bone section can tell you when you are appoaching the time
when the needle test will give you useable results.

Please do not read this as an endorsement for RDO or any other super aggressive
decal solution.  Personally, I always insist on being able to read all tissue
elements, and these solutions, although fast, give less than optimal staining
results.

If you have further questions, please ask me off line.

Joe Saby, BA HT