[Histonet] Best books for the HTL?

Morken, Tim Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Mon Apr 26 10:54:23 CDT 2010

Paula,

Carson's book is probably them most relevant to basic histology these days (Sheehans is still very good for detail on technique and stains but has a lot of old material that you will rarely, if ever, see anymore). Bancroft's book is also excellent, has more detail on given stains and has more on management (QC, etc).

For the HTL I also recommend the ASCP book "Quality Management in Anatomic Pathology" by Nakhleh and Fitzgibbons.

Plus the usual NSH study guides.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology / IPOX
UCSF Medical Center
San Francisco, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Paula Sicurello
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:18 AM
To: HistoNet
Subject: [Histonet] Best books for the HTL?

Hello Listers,

I am going to study for the HTL exam after being in histology for over 20
years.  It seems like more and more labs want the certification
and less and less schools are offering the training that's required for the
HT/HTL.

Anyway,  which books are the best to use for the HTL exam?  ASCP mentions
Bancroft an Gamble "Theory and Practice of Histological Technique"
and Garcia  "Clinical Laboratory Management".

What do you recently certified HTLs think about those suggestions?  I'm not
getting down on the older certified HTLs but want the opinion of folks who
went through the grinder recently.

Thanks,

--
Paula Sicurello