[Histonet] IHC Slides, Hotplate vs Oven

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Wed Apr 21 18:24:04 CDT 2010

Eric,

Some of my thoughts on your discussion questions:

1. How do you monitor the shortened baking time, especially when
multiple racks of slides are cut throughout the day?
We have timers set for when each rack goes into the oven. This might be
an issue for labs with larger batches (we are a Children's hospital)

 2. Assuming charged slides and cell conditioning/antigen retrieval are
employed, are you seeing major problems with section adhesion?
No, not usually. Problem sections tend to be those that are inadequately
fixed (& therefore inadequately processed), brain and bone sections.
They may tend to lift.

 3. What if slides are received from another institution for staining,
or slides get baked longer than 25 mins?
Again, it is difficult to know the conditions that the tissues have
undergone. In-built controls, if present are invaluable.
We use a BondMax immunostainer, so the antigen retrieval temperature and
time are better controlled than is possible with the manual procedure
(or when I do it!).

I believe that incomplete fixation causes more problems for morphology
and immunohistochemistry than is commonly appreciated.

"Fix the fixing and most problems are solved" - Hows that for a sweeping
statement!

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA