[Histonet] retrieveing DNA from a mounted H&E slide

louise renton louise.renton <@t> gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 02:06:25 CDT 2010

Long, long ago when dinosaurs roamed and PCR was an emerging technique, what
I would do is as follows:

REmove coverslip in appropriate solvent, soaking te get any mounting media
residue off. Rinse slide in abs alc and the 70% alcohol and then scrape off
tissue into an Eppy with a new disposable blade. (Obviously, wearing gloves
and taking care not to cut yourself). Rinse in sterile water, spin down, pur
off supernatant , and contine as for normal extraction with your usual lysis
buffer/extraction system. (back then we were using phenol chloroform!)

The quality of the DNA is dependent on one of several factors, including the
fixation medium, length of fixation, section thickness etc.

--
Louise Renton
Bone Research Unit