[Histonet] Need CLIA help

DELIA GARCIA deliadfam <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 22:14:30 CDT 2010

Hello Histonetters,

There are two issues that have been boggling me that I really cant find a definite answer for. I am hoping to learn from your experiences and what works. Anything helps.

I work in a CLIA regulated Derm Lab. I would like to ask what is CLIA's requirement at the grossing station as far as QA/QC. And what works for you? Currently the histotechs( OJT or AAS) rotate grossing in specimens. Tech 1 will log in all patient data, assign accession # to the requistion while Tech 2 double-checks and verifies specimen containers to requistions and labels the containers. Then cassettes are made Tech 1 grosses in. We are not documenting anything I am trying to implement a standard but would like to know if its neccesary and what you all are doing?

Secondly, as far as IHC is concerned what is your standard protocol for validation? And are you all running a negative control for every patient sample as well? I've worked at a CAP reference lab, Research Lab, and Hospital lab that did not do IHC in-house. CLIA is just unclear to me. Any feedback, advice, or a pointing in the right direction can help me tremendously.

Thank you all I hope to hear from you soon. :-)

D. Garcia