[Histonet] Just three months?????

Michael LaFriniere MLafrini <@t> csmlab.com
Thu Apr 8 11:47:14 CDT 2010

FYI
The Grandfather clause still stands as it always had....

Michael R. LaFriniere
Executive Director
Cytology Services of Maryland (CSM)
301-206-2555 ext 27      301-206-2595 fax
michael.lafriniere <@t> csmlab.com

>>> On 4/1/2010 at 8:46:10 PM, "Joe Nocito" <jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com> wrote:
I see that now, wasn't the first time I was wrong today, probably wouldn't
be the last either

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey Silverman" <pathmaster <@t> yahoo.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:03 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Just three months?????

CAP is now saying no more gross processing of small things that are entirely
submitted- it's all gross examination now whether we mean straining
currettings into a cassette or dissecting a complex cancer resection. Dumb
as all get out if you ask me.

As for the three month training thing, Joe, I'm not so sure about that. They
seem to spell out specific amounts of college education required IN ADDITION
to training in the laboratory.
The requirement first spells out two education choices-
1: an earned associates degree in medical laboratory science

OR 2:Education/training equivalent to the above that includes at least 60
semester
hours or equivalent from an accredited institution. This education
MUST (caps mine) include 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology
courses, OR 24
semester hours of science courses that includes 6 semester hours of
chemistry,
6 semester hours of biology, and 12 semester hours of chemistry,
biology
or medical laboratory technology in any combination.

So in addition to all the college courses, which we all know you need to
count and measure six endoscopic biopsies and put them in a cassette, much
more training and experience needed than what an unregistered on the job
tech needs to orient and embed them properly LOL!!! CLIA then requires that
the
individual must have (additional) laboratory training including either
completion of
a clinical laboratory training program approved or accredited by
the ABHES, NAACLA, or other organization approved by HHS (note that
this training may be included in the 60 semester hours listed
above),
OR at least 3 months documented laboratory training in each
specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.

Now there are grandfathering clauses in CLIA which may enable folks (like
myself) to continue to gross. I haven't digested that yet, but I'm ready to
get that job in Pathmark if necessary.

Sheesh, does it ever end?

Jeff Silverman