[Histonet] Biocare Universal Negative Control Serum may be positive

Drew Sally A SDrew <@t> uwhealth.org
Wed Apr 7 15:54:25 CDT 2010

 We've been using that product for ages on our Ventana instruments and
not had a problem.  I wonder if it is batch related?
We're expecting a new lot-guess we'll be taking an even closer look than
usual at our testing slides!

Sally Ann Drew, MT(ASCP)
IHC/ISH Clinical & Research Laboratory
UWHC
600 Highland Ave. DB1-223, Mail Code 3224
Madison, WI 53792
(608)265-6596
Fax:(608)262-7174

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gagnon,
Eric
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 3:38 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Biocare Universal Negative Control Serum may be
positive

Having just validated and started using Biocare Universal Negative
Control Serum, we were surprised when a pathologist brought back two
cases in which tumour and/or epithelium came up positive.  This staining
was in the same locations as positive staining with some markers.  We
use Ventana BenchMark XT's, and the staining was in both iView and
UltraView protocols.  Mechanical problems, contamination and dilution of
the Negative Control Serum did not appear to be factors.

Biocare knows about this and is meeting with Ventana to iron out the
problem.  Would have been nice to know about this if it was a known
issue before we bought and started using the product, but better late
than never.  Posting this in case anyone else on Histonet is
experiencing similar staining challenges using this product.  As Biocare
states in the product insert sheet, when used in conjunction with
non-Biocare kits, results may vary.  We'll keep using it and are
currently waiting for advice from Biocare.

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital
Kingston, Ontario, Canada