[Histonet] Biocare Universal Negative Control Serum may be positive

Gagnon, Eric gagnone <@t> KGH.KARI.NET
Wed Apr 7 15:37:40 CDT 2010

Having just validated and started using Biocare Universal Negative Control Serum, we were surprised when a pathologist brought back two cases in which tumour and/or epithelium came up positive.  This staining was in the same locations as positive staining with some markers.  We use Ventana BenchMark XT's, and the staining was in both iView and UltraView protocols.  Mechanical problems, contamination and dilution of the Negative Control Serum did not appear to be factors.

Biocare knows about this and is meeting with Ventana to iron out the problem.  Would have been nice to know about this if it was a known issue before we bought and started using the product, but better late than never.  Posting this in case anyone else on Histonet is experiencing similar staining challenges using this product.  As Biocare states in the product insert sheet, when used in conjunction with non-Biocare kits, results may vary.  We'll keep using it and are currently waiting for advice from Biocare.

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital
Kingston, Ontario, Canada