[Histonet] Re: Histobath

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 12:23:13 CDT 2010

I doubt you'll be successful in repairing a Histobath, particularly
since the device is no longer in manufacture. There are some
alternative instruments - see the Histonet archives for more
information them and about liquid refrigerants used in them.

2-methylbutane (isopentane) and acetone are serious fire hazard, even
at very low temperatures. Asi I have before, I suggest looking into

3M Novec Engineered Fluid HFE-7100
This product belongs to a class of fluorocarbons called
"segregated hydrofluoroethers (HFE's)"
According to various MSDS, HFE-7100 is
methyl nonafluoroisobutyl ether
C4F9-O-CH3
It melts and freezes at -135 C, so that it would remain liquid in the
Histobath. (It would freeze solid in liquid nitrogen, however.)
It boils at 60 C., and is listed as non-flammable.
It cost around $230 a gallon a few years ago.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN