[Histonet] Good news about grossing

Jeffrey Silverman pathmaster <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 16:51:02 CDT 2010

Or is it????  We measure everything. I think the benchmark should be, if you submit it intact and in its entirety, with no cutting or dissection and no judgement about which or how much to submit,  then counting, measuring, weighing, and cassetting biospies or straining or scraping curettings together into a screen counts as processing and requires only basic training and knowlege.

But I have the feeling that as long as the pathologist delineates what may be done by whom with what degree of supervision,  and regularly evaluates the work of these individuals, that everything will be OK on any inspection. Just be prepared to prove it.

 the transfer of tissue from one container to another (cassette) to be
processed in the tissue processor.  If there is any analytical thinking
involved (dying margins, measuring...) the process becomes "Grossing"
and falls under the high complex rule.
Hope that helps.
Kathy
 Boozer, HT (ASCP), IHCQ