[Histonet] 72644.18148.qm@web111105.mail.gq1.yahoo.com

Andrew Burgeson napoli <@t> siscom.net
Thu Apr 1 12:26:42 CDT 2010

Sheesh is right, J.

CAP is all politics as far as I am concerned. It is all
about protecting the careers and paychecks of the general
pathology community.

I am thouroughly unimpressed with JCAHO, CAP et al.

If all you need to legally run a laboratory is to be CLIA
inspected, then WHY BOTHER with these subjective entities?

The BS I have heard over the last few months concerning MOHS
surgery specimens is one glaring example of the limitations
CAP has in understanding fully certain nuances of the lab
trade.

Ridiculous. Unless you want the marketing and potential
"perception" that you are better covered from a legal
standpoint, CAP certs are worthless.

The more I hear about CAP certifications, the more I see it
as a certain community of individuals who are protecting
their perceived "TURF."

In the end, the pathologists in the group and in the
facility in which you are working have to take
responsibility for these matters. If the docs think a CAP
cert is necessary, then do it and live with it. If not, then
consider yourself lucky to not have to see these people in
your lab.

I have been through MANY CAP inspections in and out of the
military. For the most part, though, I see people paying
this organization to inspect their lab as the same thing as
"burning a pinch of incense in honor of great Caesar, ruler
of Rome." It will get you some kudos, but tangibly not
change much at all if your pathologists or HR $ hiring hands
want to pocket more $ as a result of hiring "pregnant out of
wedlock 16 year olds" to gross tissue and cut slides.

Seen it.

AB