[Histonet] staining of plastic sections

Sherwood, Margaret MSHERWOOD <@t> PARTNERS.ORG
Wed Sep 30 13:27:29 CDT 2009

Under separate cover I sent an article for Stains for Plastic Embedded Tissue
Sections which originally appeared in Stain Technology 42:9-14 (1974) by
Humphrey and Pittman.  I received it as an LKB applicaton note 303.  The article
describes an "H&E" stain for plastic sections, using methylene blue-azure II and
basic fuchsin.

I used it a lot, with great success, when I worked at the Mass. Eye and Ear
Infirmary.

Peggy

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Lesley Bechtold
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:12 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: Pete Finger
Subject: [Histonet] staining of plastic sections

Hi Histonetters,

If anyone has a good protocol for staining plastic sections, could they share
it?  We have samples embedded in an epoxy resin for TEM but they love the
semi-thick sections on the glass slide and asked if we could do something other
than a toluidine blue O, the standard stain for plastic.  We have tried H&E and
PAS with no success.  If there some way to treat the sections in order to get
them to stain?  Is there another stain we could try?

Thank you!

Lesley

Lesley S. Bechtold
Senior Manager, Histopathology Sciences