[Histonet] ASCP CMP continuing education credits

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 25 04:01:50 CDT 2009

According to the ASCP CMP booklet, as a HT you need 36 hours (points):
http://ascp.org/pdf/CMPBooklet.aspx
- 1 point in Safety
- 2 points minimum in area of your certification (that would be
Histotechnology)
- Remaining points in area of specialty, management, education or other
related areas of interest

So it looks like you still need 1 hour in safety, and maybe, just to be on
the safe side, 2 hours specifically related to histotechnology.

Now, as to whether the Anderson CE course would qualify - has any
histonetter used them? Has ASCP accepted them? The closest criteria that I
could fit them under would be:

4. Teleconference, subscription, or online self-instructional courses-These
courses are acceptable based on any of the
following criteria:
a. ACCME, CMLE, ACCENT, PACE credits are awarded, or
b. they are offered by a professional society (including state, regional or
local chapter), or
c. the course is accepted by a state licensing board, or
d. the course is offered through a university or college.

OR

1. Formal continuing education courses-These courses may be completed
through the programs/organizations listed on the chart as well as through
other professional societies such as those listed under Suggested List of
Providers on page 6. Courses offered by state/regional/local societies and
chapters are acceptable as well as courses offered through the continuing
education departments of colleges and universities. Courses offered by
organizations approved by state licensing boards are also acceptable.

I don't know this company/organization, so I don't know if it would be
acceptable to ASCP. And ASCP doesn't want people contacting them.

"Please Note: Because of the large volume of continuing education courses
available, the Board of Registry will not respond to requests for approval
of individual programs or courses. If the program/course meets the criteria
listed, it will be accepted for CMP points. Program provider must assign
points or contact hours."

Keep us informed.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital