[Histonet] Re: Night Blue for AFB

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 12:15:39 CDT 2009

Marcia Fisher at El Centro [CA] Regional Medical Center asks:

>>Does anyone know where to purchase the dye Night Blue? I used this stain for AFB many years ago (1986) and would like to introduce it here.<<

I don't know whether it's still available. Victoria Blue R was used
for this same purpose, and it may still be available.

These blue acid-fast stains were sometimes used by color-blind
pathologists, who cannot distinguish red acid-fast bacilli in a blue
background.

Light microscopy - red or blue - for AFB has been obsolete at least
since the 1960's - fluorescent methods (auramine) are much more
sensitive. Pathologists continue to use them, though. I think that
light microscopic AFB stains should be banned by regulatory action.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN