[Histonet] Ultra-Low Temp. Upright Freezer

Hugh Luk hlukey <@t> msn.com
Fri Sep 18 16:00:04 CDT 2009

Hi Lucie,

My research group has 63 Revco (or Harris-same brand) upright freezers of various ages at my location.  All are 21 to 25 cu ft.  Within my organization, there are about 200 on three campuses.  The older ones break down with some regularity, (maybe 2/63 per year), so my biomed tech insists on Revco.  We have not lost an upright freezer, and every unit that goes down has been repaired.  We do not have any affiliation with Revco.

We have purchased 7 in the last 4 years, and I have to admit, 2 years ago, several new units were flawed (motors not in synch[?] and never attained -80C).  However, the units were repaired and the newer units appear flawless.

Their alarms are adjustable (ie. "Warm point alarm") so we do not have problems with over or under sensitivity.

How loud?  They are fairly loud, but tolerable as a moderate hum.  We have several units interspersed throughout the labs, and these single units are fine.  However, the thermal release from the motors in smaller room with multiple freezers (side-by-side) is significant and given these two factors in this scinerio, we keep the area around them clear.

Most of the hospitals I work with have Revco's too.  Several are lay-down, but most are upright.  The lay-down units seem to have fewer problems with frost, but take up a larger footprint.  They have them in the work areas with seemingly no problems.

The Sanyo unit looks good and if my biomed tech would not have killed me (did not mean literally), I would have purchased them.  I think they are less expensive and come from a dependable source (in my opinion).  We just didn't know about replacement parts to my area.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search,

Hugh Luk, HTL (ASCP)
Pathology shared resource lab manager
Cancer research center of Hawaii