[Histonet] Ultra-Low Temp. Upright Freezer

Lucie Guernsey lucie.s.guernsey <@t> gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 20:15:15 CDT 2009

Hi all!

I'm hoping to get some help RE: purchasing a new ultra-low temp. upright
freezer. I've tried searching Histonet, but many of the posts are a few
years old, and my guess is that the products have changed a bit over the
years.

My lab is looking to purchase a large (absolute minimum size of 17 cu.ft.,
but preferably much larger), and definitely upright (not chest) -80.
Unfortunately, since this is my first foray into the world of lab freezers,
I know very little about them. I have discovered that Thermo's Revco and
Sanyo freezers seem to be popular. Obviously we're looking for a freezer
that is as large and efficient as possible. Insulation and the freezer's
compressor(s) are most important.

I've spoken with my Sanyo rep. and the VIP Series MDF-U73VC (26 cu.ft.)
freezer seems quite nice - small exterior footprint and his sales pitch
regarding the vacuum insulation (therefore denser insulation), insulated
inner doors, and supposed minimized carbon footprint was quite convincing. I
still plan on talking to Revco's rep. RE: their Elite and Ultima freezers,
though my guess is that their sales pitch will be just as convincing.

Since you can't depend only on sales pitches, I'm depending on colleagues as
well.... Does anyone have any experience with either the Sanyo or Revco
freezers (or any others that they'd like to recommend)? Any and all positive
and negative feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping to get
comments regarding:
    - efficiency
    - how often service is needed due to failures
    - are the alarms sensitive enough or maybe too sensitive
    - how loud the freezer is when the compressor is on

As always, please remember to Reply All.

Thank you in advance for your help! I look forward to hearing everyone's
suggestions.

Lucie

UCSD
lguernsey <@t> ucsd.edu