[Histonet] Polarizing filters

Anthony Reilly Tony_Reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au
Thu Sep 17 18:49:15 CDT 2009

I worked with a pathologist many years ago who would use one piece of polarising glass on the light source and wear his sunglasses.  It worked fine.

regards
Tony

Tony Reilly

Chief Scientist
Anatomical Pathology
Pathology Queensland
Level 1, Building 15
Princess Alexandra Hospital
Ipswich Rd,
Woolloongabba Q 4102
Australia
Ph: 07 32402412
Fax:07 32402930
tony_reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au

>>> Eridana <eridana <@t> cox.net> 18/09/2009 3:49 am >>>
You can use glass camera filters.  At the store they had a huge supply of polarizing filters.  I bought 2 for about $20 each that were the same brand, but not even the same diameter.  I put one on top of the slide and one on the light source and it worked great.  I also rotated the light source filter since it was too easy to bump the slide when trying to rotate the upper one.

It was really interesting to see all the non collagen that was positive in the staining but not when polarized.

Donna Harclerode HT,HTL,QIHC (ASCP),SLS
Histology Core Manager
UCSD, Dept of Pathology
9500 Gillman Drive