[Histonet] Re: Polarizing filters (jstaruk)

Sarah Tarran sarah_tarran <@t> wmi.usyd.edu.au
Sun Sep 13 17:22:21 CDT 2009

Hi James,

We have a Leica inverted microscope and just use polarising filters that
are meant for cameras to look at our Sirius red stains (one is a cannon
58mm screw-in filter UV x1, the other we borrow from our audio-vision
department so I am not sure what it is). We tape one directly below the
stage and put one immediately above the slide. We then rotate the one
above the slide until we have a black background and the collagen is
shining yellow. If you get desperate, you can always use polarised
sunglasses to have a look at your slides - not ideal but good for a quick
look.

Hope this helps!

Sarah