[Histonet] antibody validation

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Sun Sep 13 18:35:33 CDT 2009

Our procedure is:

Read the data sheet for the antibody (recommended dilution, any pre-treatment)
Read references that use the same antibody/clone (what should stain, what internal controls, their staining conditions)
Obtain a known, or suspected, positive control and titre the antibody using recommended pre-treatment. Start with the titre recommended by the data sheet or from the literature.
Using the optimised conditions stain a variety of tissues or lesions that should be positive as well as those lesions that should be negative (especially those that enter into the differential diagnosis)
Record the results in your lab notebook and YOU ARE Done but,

Continue to monitor the antibody's performance - this is important.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Akemi Allison-Tacha
Sent: Saturday, 12 September 2009 1:21 AM
To: histonet
Subject: [Histonet] antibody validation

Good Morning and Happy Friday out there in Histo-Land!

I would like your assistance in an issue that I have just become aware of regarding antibody validation.  I have been requested to bring on-board approximately (7) new antibodies in the immediate future, and several antibodies later.

Although, many of you who know me realize I have worked in IHC R&D for a well known IHC company for many years, it has been a while since I have overseen a clinical IHC lab.  I would like your assistance and input on how you are validating new antibodies.   Not counting Her2-neu, it has been my understanding that it is recommended to test samples with varying antigen expression from 10-15 cases.  Furthermore, you should check for Sensitivity: expression range of Positive cases, low to high (10-15 cases).  Specificity: (+) vs expected (-) cases/tissues (10-15 cases) and Precision (Reproducibility):

It has been my practice that any changes that are made to existing protocols, such as a new detection kit or antigen retrieval methodology, also requires re-validation.

I am curious how you approach validation.  Also, do any of you just use a single known positive control for that antibody, and run it, and if it is positive, feel that it is satisfactory, and put it on-line for testing.

Thank you in advance for your input, and have a great weekend!

Akemi Allison-Tacha BS, HT(ASCP)HTL
Histology Manager
APMG Laboratories
105A Cooper Court, Los Gatos, CA 95032
Contact: 800.848.2764
V/M: 408.884.2718
Fax: 408.884.2758
Cell: 408.335.9994
(W) E-Mail: aallison-tacha <@t> apmglab.com
(P) E-Mail: akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been
virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.