[Histonet] antibody validation

Morken, Tim Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Fri Sep 11 10:50:44 CDT 2009

Akemi,

We follow pretty much what you outline below. I believe following strict and comprehensive validation will save you headaches later on. You want to 1) convince yourself that the antibody works as advertised and as expected according to the literature and 2)Identify and solve any technical issues that may cause spurious results. You can't do that with a one-off test of one tissue sample. After a well-done validation you should have great confidence that it is being done right and works correctly. It is very useful to have the validation data in hand if anyone questions your test results.

Suggested references:

Recommendations for Improved Standardization of Immunohistochemistry, Goldstein, NS, et.al., and members of Ad-Hoc Committee on Immunohistochemical Standardization, Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morph, 2007 15(2): 124-133

A Practical Approach for Evaluating New Antibodies in the Clinical Immunohistochemistry Laboratory, Hsi, ED, Arc Pathol Lab Med. 2001; 125: 289-294

Quality Assurance For Immuncytochemistry: Approved Guideline, Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute (formerly NCCLS), Wayne PA, USA, publication MM4-A, Vol. 19, No. 26, 1999. www.clsi.org

Book chapters on IHC Validation and QC:

Quality Management in Immunohistochemistry, Brown RW, in Quality Management in Anatomic Pathology, Nakhleh RE, and Fitzgibbons PL, Eds. College of American Pathologists, Northfield, IL, USA, 2005. www.cap.org.

Theoretical and Practical Aspects of Test Performance, in Immunohistology: A Diagnostic Tool for the Surgical Pathologist. 3rd. Ed., Volume 19 in Major Problems in Pathology, Taylor CR and Cote RJ, Eds., W.B Saunders, Philadelphia, 2005

Immunohistochemistry Quality Control, Hladik, CL and White, CL, in Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques, 4th Ed., Bancroft JD and Gamble M, Eds., Churchill Livingstone, 2007

Techniques of Immunohistochemistry:  Principles, Pitfalls and Standardization, Taylor CR, et.al., in Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry, Dabbs, DJ, Ed., 2nd Edition, Churchill Livingstone,

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology / IPOX
UCSF Medical Center
San Francisco, CA