[Histonet] formalin storage

Merced M Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Fri Sep 11 09:43:05 CDT 2009

that makes sense now...when we make the stuff, we ALWAYS do it in a fume
hood...

--On Friday, September 11, 2009 10:09 AM -0400 "Riesen, Rebecca"
<Rebecca.Riesen <@t> nchmd.org> wrote:

> Thank you all! I have received many responses already concerning 10%
> Neutral Buffered Formalin (NBF) storage.  Only one person has stated
> that they store all chemicals, including formalin, in safety cabinets.
> I just want to clarify something.  All MSDS's I studied stated that 10%
> NBF indeed is NOT flammable, but the Flash Point is under 200 F on all
> but one manufacturer's product.  The NFPA99 11.7.2.3.1 and 11.7.2.3.2
> rules on flammables storage include all Class I, II and IIIA liquids.
> Class IIIA liquids include those with a Flashpoint of less than 200 F.
> That would include 10% NBF.  It appears to be the formaldehyde fume
> (which we all know very well) is the combustible portion no matter if it
> is 96.7% water. Most manufacturer's recommendations are for storage in a
> tightly sealed container, probably to keep those nasty fumes inside.
> One would think that would be sufficient.
> Riesen, Rebecca
> Rebecca.Riesen <@t> nchmd.org
> NCH Healthcare Systems
> Direct 239-436-5000 x2188
> Fax 239-436-6767
>

> Visit our website at http://www.nchmd.org
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email and any files transmitted with it are from the NCH Healthcare
> System. This message is confidential and is intended only for the
> addressee. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this
> email in error, please call us immediately at (239) 436-5000 and ask to
> speak to the message sender or promptly email the message sender of the
> delivery error and then delete the message. Thank you.

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214  USA
leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.