[Histonet] HT Refresher Courses Anywhere

Paula araniqkslvr <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Sep 9 13:10:05 CDT 2009

Hello,

I am a registered HT but have not worked in the field a long time--late 80s. I have been trying to get back into a lob since 2007 when I lost my last job (typesetting, not lab work.) I have had a recruiter laugh at me. I have tired applying for histology assistant jobs. I had one recruiter tell me that I could be trained in the job IF I had a B.S. in science, but since I didn't, I couldn't be trained. Go figure.

I have an A.A. in histotechnology from Harford Community College in Bel Air, MD, and a B.S. in liberal arts (english). I already checked with my A.A. school and they offer no refresher.

I did a couple weeks in a lab last year but the travel was too far--Worcester, MA. I did use all the automated equipment that I never used before.

Has anyone else tried to re-enter the field and had the same problems? I'm willing to pay a little for a refresher, but don't want to do the whole degree over again.

BTW, I am in Milford, MA (metrowest, central)--a little too far from the Boston hospitals to work there (takes a train, AND subway and is just too long a commute). I don't like to commute very far. My SO and I are also considering a move to North Carolina or Colorado, but we're not sure yet.

Thanks,

Paula