[Histonet] Re: Ink issues

Galbraith, Joe joseph-galbraith <@t> uiowa.edu
Wed Sep 2 12:48:34 CDT 2009

I concur with the Samurai Pathologist.  Long ago, we used Bouin's but
have stopped that procedure and prefer to just blot dry but do also use
3% acetic acid, especially if blotting could potentially damage a
delicate tissue.  Good luck.

Joe Galbraith
University of Iowa
joseph-galbraith <@t> uiowa.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Robert
Richmond
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 12:24 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Ink issues

About what to put on tissue to make the marking ink stick to it:

I don't use anything. The trick is to blot the surfaces thoroughly dry
with a paper towel before you try to put the ink on. Of course,
there's nothing you can use that will make ink adhere well to
cauterized surfaces (some breast biopsy specimens, LEEP cones, and
such. The pathologist can however identify cauterized margins under
the microscope.)

Because of the picric acid (and because it stains your clothes)
Bouin's fixative is unacceptable. So is acetone, which is a serious
explosion hazard. If you must use something, use 3% acetic acid (white
vinegar diluted half-strength).

I've been grossing since 1965, worked on maybe sixty different
pathology services.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN