[Histonet] FNA SLIDES

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Tue Sep 1 06:09:10 CDT 2009

Adequacy is carried out by the Biomedical Scientist usually in the UK. I
make a couple of air dried per passage and stain Diff Quick; you can
then give an indication of adequacy within 5 min or so. Usually if the
FNA is performed properly you don't get much material;; for example
breast and LN's are usually sparse and you get maybe a couple of slides
(we don't check these for adequacy as the Site is easily re-needled).
Pancreas, Thyroid and Lung are another matter. Usually CT orientated
FNAC of the lung tend not to be too cellular but sometimes they are; I
used to stain a couple for adequacy and make as many slides as possible.
The problem is if you make loads of slides and malignant cells are not
apparent in those you stain then you have to look at all the others;
tough. If there are malignant cells abundant then you ought to look at
all the slides just in case they hold diagnostic information. In the end
we did 6 slides and washed the remainder into a pot with saline and did
Cytospins if appropriate.

Pancreatic FNACs taken under a ultra sound flexible scope can also be
very cellular (blood) and the above statement holds. Thyroid's can be
very bloody, very bloody; trick is not to pull on the plunger but let it
seep into the syringe. Too much blood and what little you have gets well
diluted!!

Kemlo Rogerson
e-mail kemlorogerson <@t> nhs.net if not at work.
DD   01934 647057 or extension 3311     Mob 07749 754194;
Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. --Jonah
Lehrer
This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on
its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it.
Thank you for your co-operation