[histonet] Cleaning and re-using slides

Nicholas Evans nde789 <@t> googlemail.com
Mon Nov 30 19:38:06 CST 2009

Thanks very much everyone for the responses!!! Pretty much everyone thinks
this is a ridiculous idea (to put it politely). Plus I found out that we may
be overpaying for our slides - we buy Superfrost from Fisher at $350/10
gross, whereas Gorilla Scientific are selling the same type of slide for
about a third of this cost (trial pending).

It's still not totally clear to me whether used slides (we are an academic
lab working on transgenic mice, not a clinical lab) can be sent for glass
recycling, but they probably end up in landfill/incinerators (they most
likely are classed as contaminated sharps waste).

Best wishes
Nick