[histonet] Cleaning and re-using slides

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 15:01:03 CST 2009

Place the slides in a hot (90ºC) of a 2%dishwasherer soap solution. Repeat 3 times and the slides will be cleaned. The only problem that you will have is that the slides can stick to one another. You may want to place the used slides in racks (the same used to stain), so they will be separated from one another.
In this way you will only need to wash them with clean water.
You will see!
René J.

--- On Mon, 11/30/09, Nicholas Evans <nde789 <@t> googlemail.com> wrote:

From: Nicholas Evans <nde789 <@t> googlemail.com>
Subject: [histonet] Cleaning and re-using slides
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Monday, November 30, 2009, 1:28 PM

Dear all,

In our lab our boss is adamant that we must clean and recycle old unmounted
microscope slides (which have paraffin and cryo sections on them). It is
driving us nuts, as the process of cleaning the slides is incredibly tedious
and labor-intensive - it is vital that the slides are spotlessly clean
before re-treating. We (when I say we, i mean the student lackies who get
drafted in the lab, not me, hoho) currently physically scrub them with
various solvents, such as citrisolve, acetone etc. we use Fisherbrand
Superfrost/plus slides.

Anyone got any ideas how to speed this up/automate – is there a machine
available? And would anyone care to vote on the lunacy or soundness of this
idea? (Please post to me, not the list.) We are not a clinical lab, by the
way.

Nick