[Histonet] cryojane tap transfer system

Richard Pattison richard.pattison <@t> gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 08:01:39 CST 2009

Hi Everybody,
I was hoping to get some advice - I'm cryosectioning plant tissues and
transferring sections to slides using the Cryojane system. However, i'm
having problems in transferring the sections without them falling apart
during the tape transfer. I'm fixing my tissue for 24 hours in
ethanol:acetic acid (3:1), embedding in O.C.T, snap-freezing and then
sectioning at between 2 and 14 microns. The sections seem to be ok but
whenever i remove the adhesive tape from the slide a large part of the
tissue is removed with it. As a result I lose the majority of my
section. I've tried using both 1x and 1/2x slides (CFSA adhesive slides
from instrumedics) but neither have given satisfactory results.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i could reduce the loss of
tissue? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Richard