SPAM-LOW: [Histonet] Re: freezing skeletal muscle

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Fri Nov 20 08:52:54 CST 2009

Especially for bone, I have found that formalin fixation and then
infiltrating in 30% sucrose before freezing the way Samuri described works
the very best for me.

Regards,

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech
12635 Montview Blvd. Ste.215
Aurora, CO 80045
720-859-4060
fax 720-859-4110
www.ihctech.net
www.ihcrg.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Robert
Richmond
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:22 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: SPAM-LOW: [Histonet] Re: freezing skeletal muscle

Galina Deyneko asks about freezing skeletal muscle.

I'm not sure that temperature control of the isopentane is too
important - it should be very slightly viscous. But do get rid of
explosive isopentane and get a non-flammable substitute - see my

The technique for freezing skeletal muscle is easier demonstrated than
described. Hold a small piece (maybe 5 x 10 mm) in tweezers, and coat
it with talc powder so that it appears white on the surface. Then dip
the specimen in and out of the isopentane - roughly two dips per
second - until it is frozen solid. That will eliminate the ice crystal
artifact. But you have to try it a few times before it will quite work
for you. Set aside one dead rat and one afternoon.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN