[Histonet] Sanderson's Rapid Bone Stain and what you can do about it

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Wed Nov 18 20:25:59 CST 2009

It was good hear that RBS was being picked up and sold by Dorn and Hart, but
you can also make this up yourself in the laboratory.  Cathy
Sanderson/Mayton found a way to make this up easier than the original
formula and Surgipath manufactured it.

The original name was Stevenels Blue and the original  publication for
staining PMMA embedded bone:

Maniatopoulos C et al  (1987)  An improved method for preparing histological
sections of metallic implants.  International J or Oral and Maxillofacial
Implants 1:(1):31

It can be made up in the laboratory although time consuming and messy.  We
devised a way to make it up as quickly as possible.  I will be happy to send
the recipe and preparation method to anyone who needs it privately.  Cathy
did us all a favor by making this up in some proprietary way so we could
purchase it easily.

Gayle M. Callis

HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)

Bozeman MT 59715