[Histonet] "Email Spoofed." addresses were highjacked

Akemi Allison-Tacha akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Nov 13 09:33:33 CST 2009

Hi All,

The email below was sent to me in response to the Scam.  I guess someone from histonet contacted him regarding the scam, which was spammed.  It's interesting to find out how vulnerable we all are.  Yahoo's customer support has had high volumes of similar problems.

Akemi,

Boy!  Peter needs an Oxycontin!  Maybe more than
 one.

Don't worry about this.  The correct term is being "Email Spoofed."  From my friends, it happens when some computer hijacker either creates content on a new or existing web site that you ended up clicking on.  Peter suggests it is "Where" you visited, but it could be anywhere, even on a legitimate site.  Some people I've talked to think Microsoft's web page is loaded with "Spoof" and "Spyware!"

Sometimes, it is a computer worm or virus affecting your computer.  Most of the time, it is associated with your email
 provider.  [Most of my friends with Yahoo email have been "Spoofed."]

I would run a up-to-date anti-virus software, and (especially if that doesn't help) ask for help from Yahoo to quarantine or fix your address.

You probably have it fixed already.  If
 not, it will do it again until someone stops it.  It IS only email.  So what???

Hugh-Hawaii