[Histonet] B5 alternate

Drew Meyer 41dmb41 <@t> gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 08:53:11 CST 2009

In my lab, we're using B-Plus Fixative by BBC Biochemical.  I know
many other labs that are also using it as their B5 alternative.  The
biggest pro, of course, is that it's mercury free and not hazardous.
Also, it's not as sensitive to over-fixation like B5 is.  The
guideline I use is 4 hours minimum fixation for Bone Marrows and
Lymphoid tissue.  After that, routine formalin processing is all you
need to do.  You can, however, leave the specimen in B-Plus for up to
48 hours without adversely effecting the tissue sample.

Hope this help.

Drew Meyer