[Histonet] RE: Tissue falling off slide

Shirley A. Powell POWELL_SA <@t> mercer.edu
Thu Nov 12 15:04:16 CST 2009

Hi John,

In the past for IHC I used Surgipath StaOn in the waterbath for tissues that I thought may wash, usually the bloody ones.  I do not do IHC anymore and found that the positive charged slides I had left over did not work on the autopsy blocks I now cut for the ME.  Sta-On works better than any other product I have tried.

Shirley

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of John Shelley
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:50 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Tissue falling off slide

Hi Histonetters,

This is a second request for help. I know that this is a pretty rudimentary question but I need help. I have is group that has given me 175 mouse heart specimens for processing and embedding and returned the specimens for them to  start microtoming them and the tissue is falling off the slide. They brought some blocks back for me to cut and I placed the sections on three types of slides Superfrost Plus, Colorfrost Plus which are basically the same and Polysine slide and still had falling off but not at the degree of how their sections fell off. I was thinking that it could be a water issue in the water bath or a tissue processing problem that may be causing it. I process with isopropanol- 6 stations( 30 minutes each) all 100%-and I placed in xylene- 1 station 40 minutes and three paraffins 45 minutes each @60 degrees. The tissue looked perfect when they came out of the processor and I embedded them. Any help and advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!

John