[Histonet] lab spill clean-up

Lynette Pavelich lpaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com
Thu Nov 5 19:39:56 CST 2009

Our institution had an after hours spill of xylene (approx. 1/2 gallon).
 People panicked, and, long story short, called Hazmat.  Of course, it
was SuperBowl weekend, and it took them 3 hrs to go the distance of 1
hr.  Our lab, clinical lab and emergency was closed down awaiting the
clean-up (can't do blood work when the lab is closed).  The guys
arrived......dressed to the nines in their suits and masks and cleaned
up our 1/2 gallon of xylene.  When they were leaving, they suggested
that anything UNDER 5 gallons should be cleaned up by our institution.
Any more, and call them.  That's the story, and I'm a stickin' to it!!
One good outcome........we switched to ProPar!!!
Have a great weekend!

>>> Jackie M O'Connor <Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com> 11/05/09 3:25 PM >>>
I've always been in institutions (hey, no jokes) where more than a liter

of spilled formalin, alcohol, xylene, etc is cleaned up by the in house
haz mat people.