[Histonet] workflow

Carol Bryant cbrya <@t> lexclin.com
Thu Nov 5 12:53:39 CST 2009

We currently have 3 histotechs at our lab.  They arrive at 5 am, 7 am, and 8:30 am.  The first tech embeds ½ of the workload and is supposed to cut ½ of the workload.  They typically complete a couple of cases or 1 tray by 8 am. The second tech also embeds ½ of the work and cuts ½.  The third tech relieves the 5 am person from cutting.  Our pathologists are receiving one tray of slides at 8 am and then all the work comes off the stainer by 10:00 am.  They would like to have more slides by 8 am.  As the schedule stands they are having 1 hour of waiting time for slides.  I am trying to decide the most efficient way to get the work out to the pathologists by 8 am.  Our caseload is around 90 blocks per day and we have mostly small biopsy specimens.   Do most labs have someone embed everything first and then other techs cutting?  We didn't want our techs to lose their embedding skills.  Is 3 hours enough time for the first shift to embed, cut & stain more than 1 rack?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Carol Bryant, CT (ASCP)
Cytology/Histology Manager
Pathology Services
Lexington Clinic
Phone (859) 258-4082
Fax (859) 258-4081
cbrya <@t> lexclin.com

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY

This message, including any attachments, is intended only for the sole use of the addressee and may contain confidential or privileged information that is protected by the State of Kentucky and/or Federal regulations.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy, retain or disseminate this message or any attachment. If you have received this message in error, please call the sender immediately at (859)258-4000 and delete all copies of this message and any attachment. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying or distribution is strictly prohibited.  Neither the transmission of this message or any attachment, nor any error in transmission or misdelivery shall constitute waiver of any applicable legal privilege.