[Histonet] IHC on N-cadherin, CD146, CD144,ELF97 TRAcP.

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Thu Nov 5 12:26:04 CST 2009

Adam,

Thank you telling how you prepared bone for N-Cadherin IHC.  I am not sure
there will be success using any fixative with formaldehyde in the recipe or
Paraformaldehyde with the murine CD146, CD144 though.  I suggest Julia go to
BD Biosciences, SEROTEC, and eBiosciences websites to pick up the IHC
applications and fixation needs for these murine CD markers, often picky and
not stainable after zinc formalin, NBF or PFA.  Start with one company, and
if they don't have the antibody, then try the next.  Company technical data
sheets should tell her if these antibodies will stain formalin fixation
and/or only on frozen sections of bone, unfixed.  If aldehyde fixatives
work, she may have to protect the antigens further by using EDTA instead of
an acid decalcifier.

Molecular Probes has the kits and protocols available for ELF 97, also
Chemicon - and their company technical services will help on line. I believe
the TRAcP was recently and has been discussed often in the past on Histonet.
A search Histonet Archives should provide more answers.

I wish her luck on immunostaining success, often tough when you can't stain
for all the antibodies and possibly perform ELF 97 or TRAcP on a single
sample if fixation and/or decalcification compromise(s) the results.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)