[Histonet] Schiff mystery

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Mon Nov 2 14:55:43 CST 2009

There are several factors that influence the potency of Schiff's reagent.

The quality of the basic fushsin.
How much activated charcoal is used to decolorize the reagent. It is
important to use the minimum amount that gives a clear (or almost clear)
solution.
For the test, add a drop or two of Shiffs to formaldehyde, not the other
way around.
And, as someone else mentioned, properly cleaned glassware.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.