[Histonet] Multispecimen tissue blocks /sausage

O'Donnell, Bill billodonnell <@t> catholichealth.net
Thu May 28 16:02:01 CDT 2009

Carmen,

I have developed a VERY inexpensive methodology for making tissue micro-array blocks for immuno controls. It is a bit time consuming, but no more than making sausage blocks. I would be happy to share it with you if you are interested. It conserves precious tissue and comfortably places 16+ pieces of tissue on a slide in about the space of a nickel, utilizing materials you very likely have in your lab.

William (Bill) O'Donnell, HT (ASCP) QIHC
Lead Histologist
Good Samaritan Hospital
10 East 31st Street
Kearney, NE 68847

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of carmen loiselle
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:23 PM
To: pathology education
Subject: [Histonet] Multispecimen tissue blocks /sausage

To all histonetters,

I need your expertise for the preparation of sausage multispecimen block for quality control in immunoshistochemistry lab.  At first my pathologist wanted to try microarray but because of the cost he had decided to go for sausage instead.  I would greatly appreciate any information regarding this matter starting with the procurement of the specimen, thickness for cutting (ideal, do you use a punch like for skin biopsy)  and preparing the sausage (with or without wrapping , I've read that some people are using amnionic membrane), etc.  Do you retrieve the specimen wanted directly from the paraffin block then gathering all the specimen needed into the same cassette , etc.

As you can see I'm trying to get all the pertinent information before starting this project which will be very challenging into our institution.

Thank you in advance for all the info you'll share

Have a nice day !