[Histonet] Advice on fatty liver sectioning

Kinsley, David david.kinsley <@t> spcorp.com
Thu May 28 14:20:51 CDT 2009

Hi,
I have some very fatty mouse livers that I have to obtain frozen sections for Oil red O and IHC.  I have tried sectioning from -18 to -30 degrees and from 5um to 10um and the liver just seems to compress, pull away from the OCT, or roll up on itself while the OCT sections well.  When I section below -30 parts of the liver have chatter in them as if they are too cold.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what the best cutting temperature would be for these?

I have successfully cut normal and less fatty livers at 5um ad 10 um at -18 and -25 degrees respectively, it is these extremely fatty livers that are giving me problems.  Any advice is appreciated.

Dave