[Histonet] IHC control debate

Drew Sally A SDrew <@t> uwhealth.org
Tue May 26 13:55:43 CDT 2009

I think that besides checking Histonet archives for past discussions on
this, if you keep a file of freshly cut, freshly stained control slides
that you can go back to compare day-to-day results with, you will be
able to pinpoint fading stains better.

You may also want to have cut control slides inventory that coincides
with an estimated workload-for example, have 1 months-worth of tonsil at
room-temp and 2-3 months in a frost-free freezer.  If you have some at
both storage conditions, then you can check the staining quality versus
the control section's age as you optimize antibodies.

Although this is a generalization-most of the stains we've seen affected
by control age/storage conditions have been nuclear-staining antibodies.

Sally Ann Drew, MT (ASCP)

sdrew <@t> uwhealth.org

IHC/ISH Lab DB1-223, Mail Code 3224

600 Highland Ave.